Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPT Telephony

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcooney

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2005
US
Can anyone recommend any good sites for information on IP Telephony?

Specifically I am looking for some info on killer applications for IPT, what telephony stuff still isn't as good in IPT compared to TDM and are there any different legal ramifications for implementing IPT in different parts of the world.

Killer apps = toll bypass = save mucho $$$$$

As long as your IP network is engineered properly, nothing phone related is worse in IP than it is in TDM. In fact, it's better due to simplified MACs (also = save $$$). the key point is the NETWORK MUST BE ENGINEERED PROPERLY. The only down side is the finger pointing between the IP guys who think they know it all (not a dis against IP guys as a group, but we have all worked with one of these) and the TDM guys who are just learning to spell IP (ditto). Terms are different and so is the logic so troubleshooting takes some out-of-box thinking on both sides.

Legal ramifications are hard to nail down, but you must ensure appropriate emergency calling capabilities are dealt with. IP sets and branch offices require a whole new way of looking at the issue. Also, some jurisdictions frown upon the aforementioned toll-bypass, so you need to do some homework.

These are my opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers nor my peers....nor any normal person. (legal note)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back