Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPsec VPN between 2 SOHO6tc

Status
Not open for further replies.

sstabb

IS-IT--Management
Jul 30, 2004
US
I have an IPsec VPN tunnel between 2 offices using 2 SOHO6tc over ADSL. I have a Windows 2003 Server (Domain Controller) at one site. I am attempting to setup an additional domain controller at the other location. The second server will not promote to a domain controller over the WAN. (It will if I carry it to the same site) I have 7 hours on the phone with Microsoft and believe we have it narrowed down to the VPN. Either the hardware itself or the ADSL line. I am also contacting BellSouth to make sure they are not blocking any of the necessary ports or doing any thing that would prevent this. This has not been an issue using Novell for the past 2 years.

Any Ideas???

I have run into a very similar problem. As long as your 2K3 servers aren't "SBS" servers - set both up as RRAS. Create VPN's between each server. Set those VPN's to use the static IP address of the opposing server for DNS. This should allow you to promote / demote as necessary.

Hope this helps.

Kindest,
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back