Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPsec SA timeouts in Win2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeP

Programmer
Jan 13, 1999
US
I am experimenting with IPsec tunneling between Win2k server and a Cisco router. No problem establishing a tunnel and exchanging traffic. However Win2k appears to have an activity timer that deletes SAs after 5 to 10 minutes of low or no traffic, regardless of the rekeying intervals set for IKE and IPsec. Is this a "feature" of Win2k? I have seen no other IPsec systems operate in this manner. Is there a way around it? I am trying to avoid constant disconnections and reconnections in low traffic environments.

Thanks for your help
Mike Poff

I am not sure if this is related, but I am having a similar with a sonic wall vpn. I have a win2k server and a sonic wall router. I connect to the network from home with a sonic wall vpn client but it terminates at exactly 8 hours. I have adjusted all the settings on the router and checked the security policies on the server but can't find the problem. After the termination occurs I can still access other shared resources on the remote network but just not the server. The only way to access the resources on the server again is to reboot the client machine.

I posted this before but didn't have any luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back