Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPS2000 - incoming faxes not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

beatdown

Technical User
Feb 27, 2005
US
We have an IPS2000 with an 8-Port analog/fax card. We have a handful of fax machines, hooked into this card, while our DTerm phones are connected to the regular cards in the IPS2000.

Starting today, none of our fax machines can receive incoming faxes. They can all send outgoing faxes just fine.

If I hook an analog phone up to a fax line and call it, the phone rings, and call goes through. But when a fax machine is hooked up, when you try to send a fax, it doesn't ring, and no fax comes through. The sender will receive a transmission report that says busy, or bad signal.

I've tried this on 4 different fax machines/lines here, with the same result, so it doesn't appear to be an issue with the fax machines themselves.

I'm a total rookie when it comes to this system. Does anyone have a clue what might cause this, or how to fix it?

Thanks!

Iam not familiar with NEC PBX systems, but in general, I would check that the grounding (coomom ground) is enabled to the ground plint in you building. Non-grounded PBX systems can give problems with faxes, because of the "electrical" noise that can be generated hereby.
So check your grounding.
Also check for upgrades on software / hardware on your PBX system. Maybe a technician has done some work while you were away.

///doktor

Thanks for the quick response.

We had some electricians here over the weekend, doing some work, moving circuits around, etc...

I didn't think this was a factor, but sounds like it could be.

Nobody else has access to the system, so no upgrades or changes were made.

Sometimes you can solve your problems by listening to the "history" of what happened prevoiusly (i.e. just before) the fault occurred. I have used this many time with success, just asking the operator (or similiar person).
Hereby you get a clue about who was in the building - of e.g foreing engineers (PBX tech's or electricians).

///doktor

Check the power supply on the pim that has the analog card installed that you use for the faxes,change it out,it only takes a few minutes.

Try to change 1307 from 1 to 0 ('1'=Ordinary Station '0'=Data Station)

y1pzZTEUdok1vrI5cLb3FdPX4PgTPlSONkb5WPjz0x50etSujaMSmhdRCbOx9vASnrRNzzXv0IxNQA

Ring voltage is generated on the Power supply so if your analog phone rang ( made a noise) , The power supply is ok.
If you can make and answer calls on the line it sounds like the analog card is ok as well

Did you ring it using the full external number when you tested it ?

What sort of incoming lines are they ? if it is a digital link , try resetting the link, sometimes clocking issues prevent fax and modem calls.
can you test the fax machines on a direct PSTN line to make sure that it isnt a problem with someone turning off auto answer on the fax or just a faulty fax machine .

I had this problem once and after replacing an LCAA card it was found to be an issue with cm 1307 like bas1234 stated.

Is there any analog faxes that do work without problems?

If so, you can use mach script editor in matworx to query the values of a working fax extension in commands 12 ans 13 and then compare that to the values you get with a fax extension that has problems.

i.e. L12 of 100 (where 100 is a working fax extension) will listup all 12XX commands for that station, export to excel and then do the same for a non-working fax extension, then paste the results side-by-side for comparison...or simply use MACH to copy the values back to the non-working fax extension.

Hope this helps.

-Phil Ingram
{All-You-Can-Eat Telecom and IT Buffet}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back