Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPs not clearing old backup DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanCN

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2006
US
I had two DNS servers on the network. I am replacing one so I took it down and changed the DHCP scope to just the one DNS server. The scope has 8 days set for the lease on the IPs and it has been over three weeks, however I still see many clients still are holding the second DNS sever in their IPCONFIG /ALL

Occasionally one of the XP clients is not able to resolve a server name until I manually do and IPCONFIG /Release, then /RENEW. Once it only has the one DNS it is no longer a problem.

All the computers with the problem have been rebooted numerous times over the past few weeks, however many of them are still holding the second server until I force it off. Am I missing something in the DHCP Scope?

For some unknown reason your clients are not getting changed options on IP renew process. You can force clients to obtain new IP's with new options by deleting existing leases from DHCP server.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back