Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPROUTE for only 1 vlan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meneerB

IS-IT--Management
Oct 4, 2005
NL
BD6808, Extremeware Version 7.7.4.1, FULL L3

Hi,
On our backbone we use about 20 vlans for internal trafic.

We also have an internet connection, directly connected to our firewall. The firewall does the routing, because the connection to the internet is no L3 device.
(the L2 switch is provided by the internetcompany, and has a fiberuplink to them)

What I want to do is remove the routing from the firewall and let the Blackdiamond do this.
But only for 1 vlan: the vlan where the firewall and the internet switch is in.
The reason for this is, that Im then able to connect a second -seperate- firewall to the internet link, in the same vlan.

The vlan shouldn't have IP Forwarding enabled for other vlans, but should route to the internetswitch.

Is this possible...?

Thank!!

Your description's difficult to follow - you want only one subnet to have internet access? And what's the reason for a second firewall?
I'm unsure why you wouldn't want the BD to handle all routing...it's a very capable L3 device, more than a firewall is.

ok, like this:
we have one L2 ethernetswitch, with a fiberuplink to our provider.

the current fw is directly connected and does the routing.

we want to add a test subnet/vlan with its own fw.

so, now the first fw cannot do the routing anymore.

I would like to create an isolated subnet on the BD, which does the routing for the 2 fw's.

but naturaly routing should only work for these 2 fw's going to the switch.

is this possible without accesslists, in which I can make errors and maybe unkown open pathways to the internal nets?

hi all,
anyone?
the titel should be 'routing between 2 vlans', and only those 2.
thanks!

How many vlans do you have with ipforwarding enabled?

If none are you can easily enable ipforwarding on both vlans and add IP's to forward between them.

If you have other vlans with ipforwarding you will have to create new VR's but Extremeware doesn't support the creation of a new Vr

clip,

I think I missed your post.
almost all vlans have ipforwarding.

I now will use a spare L3 switch for the 'external lan'.

thanks

Enable internal vlanrouting(IPF) on your BD and point a static
default route to your FW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back