Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ipop3 connection refused?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iron32

MIS
May 12, 2004
US
Hi, I'm running a redhat 9 server and when trying to setup ipop3 port 110 will not open. I have tried telneting into 110 with no success. So I began thinking this is a firewall issue, so I stopped service on iptables. Still same result, connection refused. I did a netstat and it does not show any listening on port 110 and I also did a chkconfig list to see if ipop3 is running and it is on. Also I have edited the ipop3 config file and set "disable = no". I have double checked my hosts files and /etc/mail/access file and they all seem to be correct.
I have restarted xinetd several times after making changes to no avail.

If anyone has an idea of what could be stopping the port it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Iron

If you are getting 'connection refused' it is probably not a firewall problem. Normally that message means the host is reachable but the port is not open (firewall blocking would result in just a time out). Have you run a port scan against that host to see what ports are open? Is it possible that /etc/services is messed up for pop?

I checked my services file and it has both entries tcp & udp
pop3 110/tcp pop-3
pop3 110/udp pop-3

This is my access file
localhost.localdomain RELAY
localhost RELAY
127.0.0.1 RELAY
mydomain.net RELAY
mail.mydomain.net RELAY

This is my pop3 file
service pop3
{
disable = no
socket_type = stream
wait = no
user = root
server = /usr/sbin/ipop3d
log_on_success += HOST DURATION
log_on_failure += HOST
instances = 150
cps = 70 30
}

Thanks for the reply and I hope someone might see where im going wrong, Thanks

Check your logs, it might not be coming up for some reason. What happens when you try to manually bring the daemon online?

my file has disable set to yes and the service is running, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back