Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

iPod Updater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

secretcrowds

Technical User
May 13, 2008
GB
Hi
I originally installed my ipod on a windows PC.

And have since moved house and now use a mac.

The problem is, I arent able to delete music from my ipod, or re arreange/rename tracks once my ipod is connected to my mac, because it is formatted to windows.

I have lost my iPod updater cd that i got with the ipod.
im wondering if there is any way i can change it to be mac formatted without having to erase everything on my ipod..

"secret crowds rise up and gather

Nope. If you format the drive you will wipe it.
However it shouldn't make a difference whether the iPod is formatted for the Mac or Windows filesystem.

I have a Windows formatted iPod and I use it with my Mac without difficulty.

I think the problem is more likely that your iTunes library is on the PC and not on the Mac. Which means that you can't synch the iPod with the Mac or it will wipe the iPod. Is that correct?

The iPod is meant to 'mirror' the iTunes library on the machine with which it is paired. This is an attempt to prevent people downloading music from an iPod into another iTunes library, effectively pirating the music.

Now I'm typing this I'm going to need to check whether I have reformatted my iPod to use it with my Mac. I don't recall doing so though.

--
Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

As Foamcow has said, formatting will wipe existing files on any device.
Google 'senuti' to find a way of preserving files for a later restore.

soi la, soi carré

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back