Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

iPod touch synch to mozilla thunderbird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

j0ckser

Technical User
Jan 4, 2004
CA
CURRENT
computer - Dell Latitude E6400, WindowsXP SP3
software - MSOutlookXP (2002), iTunes 9.2.1.5
iPod Touch - 30 Gb, ver 4.1

BACKGROUND
I owned a PalmPilot for several years and it synched admirably with my previous laptop via serial port. I purchased a new laptop in Januray, but alas no serial port. therefore I needed a replacement for the PalmPilot - iPod Touch.

there a 3 primary areas of importance to me - contacts, appointments, notepad.

ISSUE
initially synchronization worked well (contacts and appointments). something happened (perhaps and upgrade to iTunes or Touch) but the appointment synch stopped, then recently the contact synch stopped.

Outlook works through Bell Canada's Sympatico POP3 email system, which I have modified to work with Shaw Cable in western Canada. since I am not synchronizing email[/] this should not be an issue.

SOLUTION?
one solution that has been offered is to update Outlook to 2010, but at ~$150 CAD that seems a touch expensive. Thunderbird is free and will work in place of Outlook.

I do not trust ANY of the on-line email account providers (hotmail, yahoo etc.) to protect my contacts' information. I want the program and data resident on my computer, which is currently firewalled.

will Thunderbird synch with my iPod? if it will, are there any published guidelines to help me get this to work (yes, I read and try to follow instructions first ).

I have posted this request at a Mozilla newsgroup and at iLounge forum, but no-one has replied about the iPod-Thunderbird functionality.

per ardua ad astra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back