Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPO SOE with missing DS ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainedMonkey

Technical User
Aug 20, 2006
US
my SOE blew its brains out, so i got a new one.

the new one is interesting because it appears that the factory default configuration does not reflect the 8 digital phone ports.

what happened to them? how can i turn them on? i tried upgrading it to 3.2 (17), which is the rev the previous unit was running, but it didnt get any better.

when i use the Manager to create a config that should run on it, i can download it to the unit, and it starts to reboot. it gets to the point where i am waiting for the four outside lines to light up, and then it restarts the boot over, and comes up default settings again. interestingly, the current default appears to not have all of the standard shortcuts loaded too. is it possible that the memory is bad?

any help would be appreaciated.

so you physically have the ports but they just aren't showing up?

You may need to open the case and make sure everything is seated properly. I believe those DS ports are a daughter card similar to a trunk module on a 406...

I would get a new unit shipped out to you immediately. Your supplier should replace the unit with no issues.

If the supplier wants you to open the unit up, go for it.

yes, the DS ports are there, they scan during boot, and they seem to power up the phones (the green LED comes on for the 4 DS ports being currently used, and the "lines" around the sections on the phone LCD come on).

i think that this must be some sort of software problem, either a bad load, or a bad memory location. i "reset to default" the unit, but it still worked the same.

Just my experience:

All issues with hardware happen in the first 72 hours under power. After that the probability it is hardware related is seriously reduced. This is a rule with exceptions.

My general policy, for equipment upon arrival.

Power up processor, quick test.
Power up the other components, quick test.

Walk away for 72 hours leaving it powered up, then test equip. before programming.

Almost never get to a site with bad equip this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back