Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPO 500 V2A Cabinets - High Pitched Whine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nortel4Ever

Vendor
Nov 1, 2011
CA
We've had a few of the new 500 V2A cabinets go through our pre-installation lab recently and all had a noticeable high pitched whine emanating from the power supply. Typically a high pitched whine like this signifies a pending failure of an electronic component. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

I have two control units sitting in my office that are both squealing at the moment. We have also had 4 others that had the same squeal. We have also had a few that didn't squeal as much. No actual problems yet, (Knock on wood), but the squeal is horrible

Generally if it's coil whine (which is the case most of the time), then whilst annoying, it doesn't necessarily mean it's going to fail, and is just a by product of the components working. You could RMA it anyway, but it might also go away on it's own over time.

Essentially rub some dirt on it and it will be fine. haha[bigsmile]

It is definitely annoying now and limits where you can have the control unit sitting. There is no way I can program the units with them sitting on my desk...or even in the same room.

My customer complained about the loud whine, said it gave her a headache this past weekend. I swapped out the 500V2A cabinet with another one and the whine was noticeably quieter with the replacement. I will be returning the first cabinet to Avaya as having a faulty power supply.

Just pulled 3 of them out of the boxes and plugged them in and all 3 have a High pitch whine to them. How odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back