Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPLDK Upgrade legal issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolle82

IS-IT--Management
Apr 5, 2009
SE
If i get the hands on a new firmware for ipldk-family, and upgrades a pbx, "Whitout paying" our local LG-Nortel representative for it.
Could it become a leagal issue or a problem if LG-Nortel representative finds out?
Does this void the warrant, can we get banned from support?.. etc..

I assume they log all the upgrades and serialnumbers on all pbx's they sell, and if we send a pbx to them (or if they in any reason remote this pbx) they will find out that someone else but them upgraded it?...

Yes, jolle.

You should not use other than approved software from your(local) LG-Nortel represenative.
If you get hands on s/w from a web server on the internet, you can not be shure that it is OK.
Therefore you should only use approved LG software for all customer systems.
For testing purposes the same rules are valid.
Using non-approved software warranty is void.

Still some open web servers exist on the internet with this kind of software, but you should not install this at your customers sites.
Hope that you got a sufficient answer.

///doktor

Ok, as i thought.

But the thing is we cannot buy an upgrade file(binary file) from our Nortel representative, they only perform the upgrade by themselves (remote, isdn). Is this common even in your/other contries. Or can you buy a new firmware release, and then use it as you like to upgrade customer pbx's?.

And one more thing. Even if we cannot buy the firmware but are 100% sure we got a Approved software does this mean we can use it whitout voiding warrant?.

Normally the local LG-Nortel representative (in each country) upgrade the PBX'es at their customers, that have a service contract for this purpose.
Or, if a mayor fault is observed, then (normally) customers PBX are upgraded to the newest firmware.
Maybe you can buy the firmware in your country, I don´t know, but you need to ask your local dealer.
If (when) you could buy this firmware, you are shure that it is the original one. But you can only use it for your own systems.
To be able to give your customers any warranty you must be the LG-Nortel representative in that particular country.
Which country do you come from?

///doktor

Hi Doktor, Thanks for your replys.

Ok, so to wrap it up all customer must buy the software from the LG-Dealer to be approved & maintain the warrant. I've never heard our LG-Dealer has any service contract, thats something i have to find out, it might be interesting. We live in Sweden by the way.

I come from Denmark. We have many service contracts...

///doktor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back