Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPK Megaco and IP Phones Over NAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevetotaro

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2003
US
OK, I have successfully setup the new Megaco card and two IP phones on our LAN.

I have also successfully setup the Magaco card on a public IP address and setup two phones behind different NATed networks over the internet.

I cannot get the Megaco card to sit behind NAT though, even if I set it up on our router as the DMZ. These just came out so documentation is lighter than usual and thats bad. I dont even know if its possible.

Any help would put me in your debt.

I have not set one of these Megaco phones up yet, but from what I remember NEC still won't do NAT you have to build a VPN.

Thats what I was afraid of and trying to avoid since VPN tunnels can be picky.

Well then for the record. If the Megaco station card can be put on a public IP address then the remote phones will work fine over NAT and no VPN needs to be established. That would also mean that for every eight remote stations you would need one available public IP. This works great for people with fractional Ts but not for DSL or Cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back