Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Iphone mail account becomes corrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
Customer had an iphone 5 with about 5 email accounts on it. Once every few months, the Comcast account would just start saying "invalid user name or password". You couldn't fix the account by re-entering credentials. You'd have to just delete the account and re-add it. Problem solved. PITA.

Now, customer has a new iphone 6 and it's only been like a month and a DIFFERENT email account (Network Solutions domain) has crapped out in the same manner. Again, had to delete and re-add to fix the problem, could not fix it otherwise.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Obviously it wasn't the phone itself since it's happening on the new phone as well.
New phone has IOS9 on it by the way.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Assuming this issue was present on wifi and cell service?

What type of accounts were they set up as? POP - IMAP? And what are the other accounts that work fine set up as?

Is there any type of security on the problem accounts? SSL, TLS, etc?

Any off the wall port settings?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Assuming this issue was present on wifi and cell service?
Can't verify that, but I tried to fix it when it was clearly connected to Wifi. Are you thinking that the behavior might be different on wifi vs. cellular service? So, next time, if I'm on Wifi trying to fix it at their house, I should turn off the WIFI and see if it can be fixed when connected via cellular?

What type of accounts were they set up as?
>>>>> POP

Is there any type of security on the problem accounts?
No those are off on all accounts as recommended by the ISPs - Comcast and Network Solutions

Any off the wall port settings?
No - 110 & 587

I was thinking of it possibly being an issue over the wifi. Since there is no security getting in the way or funky port direction, it may be something silly like that. I did some Googly work and did see that this issue has been present since iOS7 and the majority of the people with the issue were dealing with an AOL account.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

It happened to the customer's iphone 5 like three times in a couple of years with the Comcast account. Never the N.S. account. Now this time it's the N.S. account. Just strange.

Not sure if it applies here but whenever this would happen with AT&T it was because they would be changing security information on their end. Possibly Comcast and Network Solutions have changed something on their end. Comcast has bad customer service but you could still try to contact them otherwise.

Three things:
1. Wow - late reply!!!
2. Changed settings - not really. Password for email works in Outlook and Web Mail, so no changes
3. I've never had bad Comcast service or support (knock on wood). Been with them since 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back