Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

iPhone 5 water damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikker

Technical User
Nov 14, 2003
US
My iPhone 5 got submerged in water. I put it rice for a few days to let it dry out in hopes I could get it to power back on at least long enough to copy my camera roll to my computer because I didn't already have it backed up. When I plugged the phone into the computer the battery light came on and showed it was charging. After about thirty minutes of charging the phone appeared to be powering on. The light came on and the apple logo appeared on the screen. An hour later the apple logo was still on the screen and it wouldn't power on further. So I tried holding the home button and the power on button at the same time for a few seconds to do a hard reset in hopes it would power on fully after that. But instead it went off completely and will do nothing. The charge light won't even come on anymore. I even bought a new battery and installed it thinking it would work but no such luck. It appears the phone is completely dead now. I was wondering if there is any possible way to recover my data from the phone? Thanks for your help.

Sorry, I know, old thread. Have you tried checking around for instructions for dismantling the phone? It seems to me that if you could take it apart, it's at least possible you could find the memory, and pull it, then stick it in another phone or perhaps find an odd adapter for it that would work over USB. Surely someone knows how to do that. I did a quick search, and there are companies out there advertising iPhone data recovery. Not a bad line of work to get into, I would think.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Thanks for your response kjv1611. I had already returned the phone to the insurance company and wasn't ever able to recover all the data from it but I was able to get most of it back through a back up that I had done couple months prior and some more through friends a family members that I had shared with them. So it wasn't a total loss. But I was going through some other issues at the time that you responded and it was pertaining to The Lord. So when I seen your username it helped me in that area. I thank you for your response. And I thank God for everything.

Well, the Lord knows just what we need when we need it, and though we don't understand it, he does. [smile]

Glad to hear.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back