Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPE Backplane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

caestillore

Technical User
Jul 26, 2011
PH
What causes the IPE back plane to burn? We have Nortel 81C and one of the IPE back plane is burned. Slot 13, 14 and 15 was affected. All the analog cards was not functioning, however, Digital and trunk card function on that IPE.

Thanks,

Camz

The analog will not give dial tone without dtr cards. Can you see that it is burned? I mean it is black right? What was slotted there?

What was in slots 13-15? (PEC would be great).

Is there a ringing generator installed? (You need one to drive the bell/ringer on FALC/MWLC line cards). If so, can you check it too?

Senior Engineer, cmass

I'm interested as much as other Guys....Please define 'Burned'

Maybe bent pins but not burned which doesn't stack up when you say other cards are OK in those slots ?

Cheers!!

The ring gen card was damaged too. I swapped digital line cards from other IPE, this IPE back plane is now running without ring gen and dtr card since digital and trunk card need no ring gen card and I disabled the DTR slot.

What will be the possible causes burned?

Thanks.

camz

A card could have shorted and burned the backplane. You need to determine where the burn came from. From the faulty cards you removed or from the backplane itself? And what did you do about the analog on the shelf? Move it?

Just to confirm, does anything work on those 3 slots?
Sounds like you may have had a lightning strike, especially since you have a Universal trunk card as one of the 3, do you have external POTS attached here that might have been the conduit into the building?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back