Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ipconfig /release /renew

Status
Not open for further replies.

krabban

Programmer
Oct 18, 2003
SE
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

When I run this on one of the users I recive the following error: (In Swedish, my translation.)

"All cards connected with DHCP does not have DHCP-addresses.
The addresses were configured automatically and can not be released."

What does it mean and what can I do about it?

Apparently you have to be logged in as administrator to be able to execute the ipconfig commands, but I have admin privs.

Does the machine have more than one NIC installed? You could try sending the command to the specific card you need to change.

ipconfig /release Local Area Connection 2

as the first command is trying to release it for all the cards and it might be that you have something interfearing in releasing and changing information for all cards.

Om det inte funkar vad var det for error msg pa svenska?

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

What are the permissions set at to for the user? It sounds like they don;t have permission to change the IP

Jump1ng is correct. It looks like you have multiple Network Connections available and one of the connections does not have an IP and is getting the auto configuration address. You cannot release an IP if the card or connection doesn't have an IP. Also if one of the connections is setup with a static IP it will also not be able to be released.

it could also be the default IP address that is set when the computer cannot contact a dhcp server.. I think it would 169.192.x.x or something like that.

Once the adapter is in the fail state you have to disable and re-enable the adapter (or reboot).. make sure the cable is plugged in and there are lights on the back.

Actually, it turned out to be very easy...

The CAT cable was not connected with the switch...

"It's easy when you know how!"

It's not easy to fix troubles when everything is freraking out at the same time...!

Sorry, folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back