Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ipc$ problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherwin

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2001
PH
i have a windows nt domain with 2 server. 1 server as pdc, the other one as member server.

i have client that uses win98SE, each user uses a domain account which is a member of the domain user global group.

the problem is that when accessing the resuurces on the member server, it ask for the ipc$ password. WHY?

but when the same user access the resources on the pdc server, it works fine. WHY?

the only difference in term of NOS configuration between the two server is SP, the pdc has SP4 Y2K and the member sever has SP6a. does it matter, i guess not since i have the same configuration somewhere and it works fine.

need your info ASAP.

thank you in advance.

sherwin

Hi,
What permissions did you set on the share the users loggon to on the member server ?

Franck

MAke sure that the 98 machine is logging onto the domain through client settings. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

the permission has been properly setup and all client are configure to use domain network logon.

what i observed is that client with domain admin role can access resources.

HI!

Anyhow it is important to apply SP6A on the PDC for 2 reasons:
1) All servers should have same SP version.
I had for example some strange printing problems with a mixed SP environment,
and you can hardly know what problems might be related to that.
2) SP6a has fixes and is knows as a stable SP.
Then you should also aply latest post SP6A security patches, especialy if you have an IIS server.

Now, also make sure that the "Domain Users" group is a member of the local "Users" group - on the MEMBER server.
It is the default when you add the server to the domain, but maybe someone changed it.

Recheck the permissions and settings, try the same user name on different 98 client, try a different user on the same 98 client, etc...

Bye
Yizhar

Yizhar Hurwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back