Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPC Password?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 20, 2005
US
Ok, now that I have the machine up and running like it suppose to agian......

I get a pwd box when trying to connect for file sharing.
the IPC$.. Now as far as I knew, there shouldnt have been a pwd on any of this.

How and where do I go and change this?

I need to get this server up and running as a basic file server, and eventually a minor exchange server.

Perhaps you tried connect to your server from Win9x client?

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCP

I am trying to connect from an ME system. Either way I need to be able to connect to it, no matter what the windows system is that is trying to connect.

Can this then be solved by installing a network config for the XP boxes like you must to for to connect to the XP systems?

You must authenticate in Windows XP users database to access XP via network. This means, you must logon in Windows 9x/Me with username/password known to XP system.
For this
1)you should create local user accounts on XP system with the same usernames and passwords as on Win9x/Me systems, even if you dont need use these usernames on XP systems locally;
2)or logon in Win9x/Me with usernames/passwords you already have on XP computer.

Another way is to enable guest accounts on XP systems (they are disabled by default), but in this case your XP systems will be wide open for everyone not only for appropriate users.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCP

Ok Question here then.... Im not much for windows server stuff so.. heh

If I create a user for each person on the network that needs access on the W2K server. Then I create the user on each of the clients that the people will be logging on from.
This would solve the issue?

Or do I need make my W2K server a domain server and have each of the client comps on that domain so each authenticates to the w2k server to log in?

Security with this is not really an issue. a Basic Peer to Peer would work atm but I would like to have a little access control so that I can keep people that we are going to hire soon out of the stuff that they dont need access too.

The first solution wil work, but it will be nightmare for admin, because you must keep all passwords on sync on server and clients with no central management possible. I suggest to set up AD, especially if you have more than 10 client workstations on network.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back