Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ipaq disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterdavis

IS-IT--Management
May 14, 2003
US
My ipaq is set up pretty much as it came out of the box. Everything was fine - synching ok to MS Outlook 2000. Disconnected the cradle to move my PC. Reconnected it (to USB port). Now the synch process goes through calendar, tasks, etc ok. When it gets to inbox it reports "Synchronising 1 of 463" and then disconnects. The ipaq thinks it is still disconnected but the PC doesn't seem able to see it. Power cycle the ipaq and it starts the synch process again stopping as before. Have upgraded to ActiveSynch 3.7. Have tried a different USB and a COM port. Any ideas my lovelies?

I have found the exact same issue myself. Issue seems to be related to *conversion* of Word and Excel files only. If you turn OFF conversion, you will find it synchs fine. Only problem then is, what's the point of having the PDA? I am racking my brain to figure out what is the cause of this, but at least you have a temporary workaround for now :)

(Go to ActiveSync, Tools, Options, Rules tab and Conversion Settings button. You can set if ActiveSync will convert *.doc to Pocket Word and *.xls to Pocket Excel)

OK. Now we've found the exact cause (or so we think). Excel files were converting fine, but we still had MS Word issues. We narrowed it down to documents that contained multiple 'hidden' bookmarks. We viewed and then removed all the hidden bookmarks. Once we did that, the file converted to a .pwd file perfectly. This may not be the ONLY cause of your problem, but it seemed to be the primary cause of ours. Our affected user is now simply either relocating the 'offending' e-mail to a non-syncronising folder, or, opening the attachments and removing the hidden bookmarks. Not the best situation, but at least it works...

Thanks for your help - switching off the download attachments option got us going. We then tracked through and found the document causing the error. It was an Excel spreadsheet. Don't know what differentiated it from the others but it did not have hidden bookmarks.

Hanging on your every thread

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back