Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP710 Handsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlmartin

Programmer
Dec 26, 2002
US
1.5 year old system - We've had 6 of these handsets break off the tab that locks the cord in place. I super-glued them in but several months later the connection gets crackly or disappears completely. Pretty cheap quality for a $300 phone...

Anyone know where to get reasonably priced handsets to replace these?

Not sure what to suggest. We have deployed 1000's of 705, 710 & 720 phones and have never come across this issue. Do you know if it is common amongst over users?

If it keeps coming unplugged/breaking you could cut the tab off just a very small amount. This would prevent the little tab portion that sticks out from being depressed. It could be possible that the tab is catching on the phone cradle as it is hanging up and wearing out over time from movement... We have never had any problems described. On another system we had handset issues and eliminated them by cutting the tab a VERY small amount. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the tab cutting tip - I don't think that's what's going on here though - the actual socket inside the handset is breaking... The 7th phone out of our 14 broke last week. I attached pictures of a good one and broken one...

It looks like the grey housing that the cord plugs into is wearing out. Are you sure the handsets aren't being plugged and unplugged a lot? Maybe if the tab accidently is being depressed when hanging up it is causing the cord to be removed more times than normal. Are the users plugging and unplugging for any reason? (headsets, audio recording devices, etc?)

No recording devices or headsets in use so I don't think they are plugging & unplugging the handset. The old Nortel phones lasted 8 yrs w/out a single socket breaking :) I did notice the Nortel handset plugs in sideways.

Anybody know where I can find a bunch of (reasonably priced) replacement handsets? Or maybe some metal sockets to install in these that don't break off...

That's a totally bizarre problem. Never seen this. Seems like replacement handsets from AltiGen for 705/710 are about $15-20. Your AltiGen dealer can order them for you.

Thanks chiacomo,

They're not that cheap from my dealer :) - but I did find a dealer to sell them to me for that price. They should be here early next week. My users will be happy again...

And me also :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back