Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP403 creating logical LAN (for VPN router)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ugllog

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2013
GB
Hi

I have a IP403 which i want to connect to a VPN router on different subnet.
I understand this unit only has one LAN port for system only?

The system IP address of the unit is 192.168.0.4 , with a gateway of 192.168.0.1

I have created a LOGICAL LAN on the IP403 called LAN3, and configured as below

LAN3_ihppw0.png

The VPN router ip is Router IP 192.168.1.50 255.255.255.0

I have added a route on the Avaya IP unit ;

IProuting_wcite0.png

The problem - When I connect a laptop to the VPN router (internally), i'm expecting to be able to ping the IP403 router via 192.168.1.20 (LAN3) interface , however i'm not getting any replies.

I have attempted to plug the VPN router into the same switch as the IP403 system LAN connection (192.168.0.xx subnet) and also tried connecting to LAN PORT 1 on IP403 , still nothing

Here is the current layout of the IP403
IP403_mdow3y.png

I have never attempted this, and not entirely sure what i'm doing is correct. I have tried referencing this instruction, but cannot figure this out.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Seens like you have 2 default routes?

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

Seems like you have 2 default routes..." ...and the usual IP Office logic is to use the first (oldest) matching entry in the configuration. You need the LAN3 entry to be something like 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0/LAN3.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Hi Guys,

I cannot delete the 192.168.0.1 routing, as this appears to break my site-to-site H.323 trunk running over 192.168.0.XX subnet

I have modified the route as per Sizbut's message, but this haven't fixed the ping issue. Now it looks like this...

IProuting2_tvwef5.png

I have a couple questions;

1. Where should I be plugging in the VPN router - into the switch where the IP403 is connected or directly into the IP403?

2. I'm confused about the 8 LAN ports on the IP403 - what purpose do they serve? Can't I assign the LAN3 logical port to one of these ports, then plug my VPN router into it accordingly?

I think the logical LAN config can only be used on a 406 and then port 8 becomes the second LAN(WAN) interface, port1 to 7 stay on LAN1

[EDIT] Then 403 does support a logical LAN and when configured it is a DHCP client by default 9according to the docs) and I don't think you can use a fixed IP Address.
You better buy a (used) IP 500 with 2 separate LAN connections or a real router

Hi intrigrant,

Are you able to provide URL that details your findings - I'm struggling to find any info on IP403 logical LANS.

Please clarify what you mean be " real router " ?

thks.

I got the info from the 5.0 Manager manual but I assume you find more info in the tech bulletin when the option was introducen, I have no idea when that was and on which release.
The IP Office 403 is not a router and the logical LAN construction is not really reliable, I used it once and that was not really a success.
Many drops and connection failures.

Hi,thanks for your reply.

I have abandoned this approach and instead used a site-to-site bridged OpenVPN (using TAP instead of TUN) , where all devices (Remote and Local) on same subnet 192.168.0.XX. I was able to connect an IP 4602 VoIP phone through over the VPN to the IP403. I have assigned all devices static IPs and switched off DHCP to ensure no IP conflicts.

Going to bring the Tomato VPN router and VoIP phone home tonight and test behind my ISP's router, hopefully it will work :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back