Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP VPN to Remote Ip Camera's

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatback1980

IS-IT--Management
Mar 10, 2010
CA
Hello all!

Does anyone have any insight as to how this would best be accomplished?

I have 5 remote ip webcams, connected to a DIR-655 wireless router that is connected to a pc.

Now, I want to be able to monitor these cams from my location. I have a server and a dedicated IP address.

I am new to the idea of VPN.
What type of end equipment would I need at the server and at the remote site?

Thank you for the help.

Fatback

A VPN would allow you to join the remote network segment with the cameras to your LAN so that they are effectively one network. This may or may not be required to access the cameras, but it sounds like it would make it easier. VPN would also provide a convenient means of security in that the network traffic would be encrypted.

Most routers support VPN functionality, so one approach would be to get two routers and use them to create a VPN. There are also software packages for VPN that may work. For example, right now I am away from home, but accessing this forum from my home LAN via a VPN and I am using OpenVPN for this. My laptop has an IP address from my LAN and all the network traffic is tunneled through the connection.

Some simpler option might include using SSH or a Proxy server to simply allow you to remotely connect to the cameras.

Is that Pc connected to a broadband? if so, use port forwarding in the router and allow access from the outside world to the ip of the broadband. Connect direct to the Web based controls of the camera software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back