Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP/VPN setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

alleycat1991

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2011
ok so there is 10 ip's that are available and given to us by primus because we are trying to setup a windows vpn to the server.
we currently have a small setup with a dlink dir-825 router, these were the settings that the guy from primus told me to use on the server :

ip: 206.191.21.82 (one of the available 10 ip's)
default gateway: 206.191.21.81
subnet mask : 255.255.255.240
dns: 206.171.0.210

but the problem is the current network is a 192.168.1.100 to 125 network and the second i change the ip of the server it dissapears from the network, now i was going to change the entire networks ip range to 206.191.21. and so on but the router will not let you change the 192 class address. i am a little confused/lost on what to do, any ideas would really help :)

Can you provide more information. ie what are you trying to do? By the looks of things you have a router and you have assigned an ip addresses to it and then you have a internal address range 192.168.1.0. If your server is going to sit in the internal address range then it needs to have a 192.168.1.x address and then you will need to set up nat. If you provide more info people will be able to help you. Or provide a diagram with exactly what you want to achieve

DO NOT change the IP network to the 206 range! This is a public IP address and you will basically be putting your computers directly on the internet to be hacked. Does the VPN server have two NIC's? And why do you need 10 public IP addresses? You could have done this with one.
I am thinking of various ways around this right now and it is going to be a lot of work to get it working. Does the router support VPN's? as it may be better teminiating the VPN tunnel there rather than the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back