Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP/Switch problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

fs1

Technical User
Jul 22, 2002
US
Hi,

I'm not a switch expert by any means and am encountering an issue I thought I'd throw this way. I have a switch that three users use plugged into a cable modem to get internet access. On occassion, only two of the three will be able to get on the internet. I have rebooted both the modem and switch, all computers, but still, only two computers can get out to the internet.

I have done IPCONFIG /Release on all PCs, but still, only the first two to boot up get on the internet. I have statically assigned one PC's IP, but this did not fix issue. Does anyone have any idea how I need to proceed to fix this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you have a cable modem connected to a switch, this will not provide dynamic IP addressing (DHCP) or NAT that will be necessary to allow PCs to access the internet using only 1 public IP address. A router should do the trick.

Yup you need a router to do NAT to get multiple users out 1 assigned ISP address , surprised you get 2 to work at the same time .

Go buy a cheap Lynksys cable/dsl router. It NATS and DHCP's right out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back