Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Subnetting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

egodette

Technical User
Jun 12, 2002
US
I have a simple network. Class C, 192.168.8.0/24. I am running out of IP address and need to change to a class B to provide more host nodes. Here is my question as one who is not a network guru, Can I just change the subnet mask to /16 without changing the 192.168. to 172.16.?
Thanks.

The range of 192.168.0.0 through 192.168.255.255 is reserved for private use. See: Yes, you can change to 192.168 /16 without conflict. You will need to adjust all machines on the network so that they have the correct mask or you will wind up with routing issues.

Hi,

Instead of creating one big flat /16 network you should just create another vlan with a /24 and route between vlans (very simple to do). As your network grows it will be a lot more stable than one big /16 network.

With a larger segment you will have a lot of broadcast traffic.
With VLANs or /24 that is cut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back