Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Softphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

CableMonkey

Technical User
Sep 26, 2002
US
Many of the IP Softphone users at my company can’t seem to close out of the program correctly. As a result, when they get back to work and try to use their desk phones, it doesn’t work because the PBX thinks that they are still logged in with their IP Softphone. They usually call me and I put their hard phone switch port back on their station. This is starting to get annoying. Is there a solution for this? It seems that there should be a parameter in the PBX were you can have the PBX re-assign the hard phone switch port to the station if the IP Softphone was logged out incorrectly or if it has been inactive for a long period of time. Most of our switches are Definity G3SI/V9.5

Cablemonkey, I would just busy out their softphone and release it. That should clear the station- I would think.

Unfortunately, we do not have busy and release command access on most of our switches. I am trying to get that changed.

Even if I could busy and release stations, that wouldn’t change the fact that these users are calling me all day with this problem. There must be a way to prevent this from happening in the first place. Isn’t there a way for the PBX to recognize that the IP Softphone user is no longer active when, say for example, the user abruptly disconnects their session by hitting the power switch on their PC, instead of exiting out of the IP Softphone properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back