Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Softphone Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

joel7

MIS
Oct 28, 2002
US
Hello All,

We have been testing the Avaya IP Softphone here. When I am using it on our LAN it works beautifully. When I try it from home using our VPN, I cant make a connection. Im able to ping the CLAN board fine. Does anyone know of something that we might be missing? Im trying to do this using a cable modem and coming into our network through VPN and also using dialup for users who dont have a high speed connection. When I launch the software, it will just hang there trying to get in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Joel

Does your VPN app give you a local IP when it registers? Did you use the "advanced settings" in the softphone to specify that VPN IP before logging into the softphone? What VPN app and release are you using?

-CL

CL,

We are using SafeNet SoftRemote 8.0.1 (Build 4)

Joel

Not familar with that one. Just make sure you note your VPN IP given to you after logging into the VPN session and put that into the softphone settings as your local IP. It's probably that but may also be a firewall issue.

-CL

Thank you CL. Were going to put a Protocol Analyzer on our network to try and trace the route. Were putting in the IP address that the VPN is giving us but we still cannot make a connection. Thanks again.

Joel

Looks to me as a firewall issue as well. Maybe worth while investigate which ports are blocked by the firewall; softphone uses different ports than ICMP traffic.

Another issue might be with NAT: if you're using some sort of device that provides NAT on your local network it could cause problems as well. In that case, make sure you use a device that supports VoIP (i.e. transforms IP addresses in the VoIP packets).

According to our Network Administrator, once we log in via the VPN client all ports are open. I did talk to him about the different ports that the software uses and he says they should not be a problem. We see the traffic hitting the CLAN board but then we dont see it coming back out to the software. I hope the protocol analyzer will help us find the problem. Thanks to all for your help.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back