Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP sharing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamichel

Technical User
Aug 9, 2003
US
I have an IBM Thinkpad 366MHz w/64 M Ram and a Gateway E-5200 300Mhx w/128 M Ram. Both systems are connected with a wireless network that is functioning correctly for file and printer sharing.

The IBM is connected to a cable modem via USB and connects without any problems. IP sharing is enabled on the IBM and the Gateway sees the internet and can connect.

My problem is that after viewing 6-10 web pages on the Gateway my internet connection is lost and both machines must be restarted before starting the same cycle again. Viewing the first page is fast and each successive page loads more slowly until lockup occurs. This happens regardless of what I am doing with the laptop at the time.

Prior to this the Gateway accessed the net via dial-up with no similar problems.

I've run Ad-Aware, SpyBot, and Hijack This on both machines (and cleaned up what they found) and have eliminated virtually everything from the start menus on both systems but the problem persists.

Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted...

Thanks
George

Possible the 64mb RAM on IBM isn't enough for all that's going on?? Try the "Data transmission" forums...

Which browser....IE6?
Try looking at the temporary Inet files cache(amount of disc space to use) amount....on both machines.....In IE..tools>Inet options>Settings ....
also there try "Every time you start IE"...not "Every visit to the page"

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Thanks for the link, I didn't find anything there specific to my problem but I did cross-post the question.

Both systerms are IE6 and the Internet options were set the same. I did change the refresh from "every visit" to "everytime I start IE" but no effect.

How's about the amount of disk space (cache) in Temporary Inet Files....??? How large??
(i understand if you're downloading to "any" directory, this setting really doesn't matter, however the graphics/etc need some space, so 8-10 Mb "should" be plenty....but.....

Prior to this the Gateway accessed the net via dial-up with no similar problems
Dial up is much slower, as you know, so i'm leaning towards that having to do with it...

There are limits to vcache and swapfile....yet I'm thinking the RAM, or lack of it, is causing the probs;
Try running System Monitor from Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools....(if it isn't there, you'll have to add it from Control Panel>Add/Remove>Windows Setup Tab>System tools....click the Details button

In SysMon, there's a ton of diff settings to add to display(and the way it's viewed; ala charts/graphs/etc...under the EDIT you can add a category or Item to view.....specifically..."memory" and "Kernel" categories.
Remember,it eats some mem/resources to run.....
good luck
sincerely

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back