Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Routing to specific servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

stenic1

Technical User
Oct 2, 2004
GB
Hi
My firm has been having problems with one site having to download images through email taking up all the bandwidth. They have always had a killstream 256k line and a EPS 256k line which is not connected but is functional if configured(the idea was to scrap the killerstream).

I would like to split the two lines one for email and internt(Both servers at head office) and one for the main application server(again servers at head office).
The router in place is a 1700 i added another wick card so the two lines are now fisically connected but i'm confused on how to split the traffic.

any help would be much appreciated.

I'm not shore on the routing tables.
Thanks

You can set up a route map that is processed on the inside interface.

Lets say you have subnet a.a.a.a
your server you want to split the route for is a.a.a.100 of that subnet.
the default gateway is b.b.b.1 for killstream
the default gateway is c.c.c.1 for eps
assume the router has a route for the default gateway:
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 b.b.b.1 (this routes all traffic to killstream by default)

First you need an access list to specify which is going to be processed by the rule.

access-list 11 permit a.a.a.100 0.0.0.255 (assuming a class c subnet, this is the address of the server).
access-list 11 deny any

This basically tells the route map to execute its rule only if the access list permits, which so far is only the server.

Then add the route map:

ip route-map mailroute 10
match ip address 11 (the 11 is the acl we just added above)
set ip next-hop c.c.c.1 (this is the default route for PES)

Then apply the route-map to the inside interface:

config t
int f0
ip policy route-map mailroute

The result: traffic heading outside the servers ip network will have it's default gateway switched from b.b.b.1 to c.c.c.1 by the route map, and all traffic passing through the router from that server will go our eps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back