Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP question

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicsfreak

Technical User
Sep 2, 2004
US
I know this probably would be better fitted for networking section on here, but that forum seems to be dead. So I figured I would be better posting in here.

I am setting up a linux web server, and it requires me to logon using the network ip that it is on. It is on my network, just so you know.

Anyway would not a 192.168 etc ip of the network completely bypass going anywhere online? The reason I am asking, is I am setting up a webserver strictly for home for testing and learning. My assumption is since its remote controlled by the network ip assigned by the router, it should not matter if I am connected to the internet or not.

Am I right on assuming this?

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Yes you are correct you only need to stick in the local iIp. However I would use a static IP on your server(either on the server, or set it on the router), otherwise you may find you have to keep updating things.

Effectivly you are creating an INTRAnet web server not an INTERnet web server.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Well the reason I asked is I am having trouble connecting to my machine. I am setting up Engarde linux for testing at home. Anyway I have installed it over and over several times trying to figure this out. I think I am doing something wrong with the dns, but I am not sure.

When it ask for primary and secondary dns, I gave it the numbers the router has from the isp. I was not able to get it to update, so I did another install using the ip to the router. Same error either way.

Any suggestions?

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

sounds like a couple of issues going on here.

1. Use Sympoly's suggestion and put a static IP
2. In your network router take that static IP out of rotation, so another machine cannot try to access it.
3. Now you have full control thru the router to open ports to the outside internet for this new machine.

For instance you can open port 22 to this machine and now anyone on the internet can SSH to it, sounds like you need to shut that down, port 22.

Port 23 to use FTP to the machine from the internet.

You speak of using the Router ISP DNS entries, if this machine is not ported to the internet thru your router than it will not use those DNS entries.

I am sure there are better experts than me to explain but this should get you moving.

As always we thank you for your support
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back