Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Printer Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnosis13

Programmer
Jul 13, 2001
US
We have removed the print server on our network. I now set users up with a local IP port and they print directly to the network printers...works great.

This has created a headache, though, when users want to add network printers. Setting up an IP port is a little more complex than just connecting to the share.

Does anyone know a method to automate or simplify this for the user? A script? Wizard? Something I can email to them to execute? I really don't want them to have to understand what a port or IP address is, they need to just watch it run.

A+, N+, MCP

Makes me wonder why the print server was taken out of service. The point of a print server is that you have a centralized, easy to use method of controlling printer use. Users can easily add additional printers without needing administrator privileges, and you can manage the actual printer installations to make sure that ports/IP addresses/driver revisions are correct.

If you're not generating huge volumes of printing, you can easily add print server functionality to an existing server. In most environments there is no need for a dedicated print server.

The printers were shared on BDC on our old NT domain. We migrated to a new A/D domain and the BDC was eliminated. During migration we simply directed the users to IP ports so they could continue uninterrupted while we were doing our server work. The I.T. department basically said...why go back, everyone is happy with IP printing.

IP Printing is OK, the users are not tasking the servers and if I want to bounce or shut one down for hardware upgrade, I don't have to wait on the payroll to get processed...getting paid is good.

I actually do have a couple of printers shared and have users connected through our application server, but only because I have some NT machines that simply refuse to use IP Printers.

Just wish this was easier for the user to set up, or could somehow script it...

A+, N+, MCP

You could script it to a printer share name, but then your back to a print server. I have never made a script that installs a tcp/ip port then the printer. Not that it cant be done.

The problem is that you have to actually create the port on the PC...no easy task for a script.

A+, N+, MCP

If you go to one of the scripting forums, you can probably get someone to help you with a WMI script that will do the trick.

KnowNix...WOW, just what I was looking for! Thanks.

A+, N+, MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back