Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Phones that can Access 911 Locally 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlgon

Vendor
Oct 12, 2006
US
Does anyone know of a VoIP system that will allow a remote IP Phone to access 911 to their local exchange?

I am in the process of setting up a remote IP site, and my solution was to order a 1FB specifically for 911. I did this mainly because of all my DID's come into one main site, and then through routing kick out to remote branches

So basically no IP Phones on remote locations will be able to dial 911 and reach their local exchange. Instead a remote site will either need to order a 1FB or use a single line phone off their fax line?

Yes, that is correct. Not really a limitation of the VOIP system as much as it's a limitation of the telco. Typically when you place a 911 call, the telco will send the PSAP the service address they have on record for that number. There are some systems out there (like Mitel) that have external applications that allow you to manage the location data that the telco has on file and sends to the PSAP. This can get expensive, and unless you're talking about a large number of remote sites, it's probably cheaper just to use a seperate analog line at the remote site for 911 calls.

pbxn,
if your branches have pbx systems at them which connect to other pbx's via voip, or p2p, you may be able to connect an analog trunk to the system, and route 911 via that line.

i work with the avaya ip office mostly, and i can set a system wide short code at each pbx system to dial emergency feature, via another trunk group when 911 is dialed, which has the analog line connected to it just for this.

all other calls go out via the normal route on the normal group. dialing 911 is actually a system short code which then replaces the called number with 911, but sends it out another trunk group.

aarenot, thanks for the tip, but on this particular branch we are doing it cheap, no switch at the remote site. We are just pulling VoIP dialtone across the network from our main site. We have to have 1FB's anyways' for alarms and such, so we just ordered an additional one specifically for 911 purposes.

You can use IP trunking and ARS routing at the main site to connect a pots line at the remote via a voip gateway or fxo router port. Mutitech makes units specifically for this app. ARS would send 911 calls from just those specific phones to that specific POTS line which happens to be on site next to them. People don't normally ask "is it OK to dial 911 or is there 1 special phone I should use" in an emergency. What PBX is at the main site?

-CL

I wanted to put a BCM 400 in the main location. We are still configuring it and wanted to know our options on this issue.

so, if the p2p network connectivity goes down, you lose all ability to make calls at remote sites. or if any piece of equipment through which your voip goes through you lose ability to call including 911. or if you do not go to the specific phone you can not call 911.

ipoffice makes a small office edition [soe] that may change that scenario if you want to check it out. voip, 4 analog trunk, 2 analog ext, 8digital ext, ip exts, all buitl in.

I gave the customer the option of putting either the small office or the BCM50 at their remote sites but the cost is just not practical for them. They will only need either 1 or 2 phones in each site. Can you please tell me more about the ARS Routing at the main site to connect a pots line at the remote via a voip gateway or fxo router ports? I am interesting in this solution for them. Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back