Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Phones Rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasidija

Technical User
Mar 4, 2007
I had an interesting discovery when our IP phones were going through an endless reboot cycle upon boot up...

We have two signaling servers (for redundancy) and are load sharing the TPS services, so the number of IP phones registered to one signaling server is (usually) pretty close to the number of phones registered on the other.

Problem was - each sig server had a different version of firmware.

So, a phone would boot up, register, and if the firmware version was different, it would download the version from the sig server, and then reboot.

Upon reboot, the phone would go to re-register. Apparently (this is only my observation - not confirmed), when load sharing, the sig servers do some sort of algorythm where it alternates each registration request.

So, when the 2nd request would come in, the phone would be assigned to the other signaling server and the firmware associated with that sig server.

Since firmware downloads require a reboot, the phone would go into an endless cycle of reboots.

We've since updated our sig servers to the same version of firmware. Just an FYI.

That's funny.

I bet it wasn't very funny while it was happening though.

I've experienced the exact thing. One server had an older firmware version. So the phones would do like you said - reboot consistently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back