Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP phones for XTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefred

Technical User
Sep 2, 2002
US
I am having a real Bear of a time trying to get these phones to work---I have them working internally -- but not externally -- I have a external IP that translates to the internal IP of the VOIP Lan card.

Has anyone set up these and been successful? If not--what problems did you run into and how did you solve those problems?

Thanks

Hi,
I have these working over a WAN, but not through a NAT. If you want to have an IP phone working through a NAT, I use Vodavi's Telenium (the new IP system) with an RSGM (Remote Services Gateway Module). It also provides the remote worker an analog line over IP. Currently, the RSGM sits behind a Linksys router.

Also, have you tried a VPN tunnel via two routers so you don't have to use NAT?

Hi chiefred
Hi deanaltman

IP phones connected to Vodavi's Telenium (the new IP system)
have already been installed at several of our customers.
Both as standalone phones or connected to an RSGM (Remote Services Gateway Module).
So with this flexible product "Vodavi's Telenium" you will obtain all features (call back, speed dialling, ACD queues, voice mail, group hunting, busy lamp field etc) on both local and remote IP phones!
We are selling quite a few systems because all features from an advanced, trditional PBX are implemeted on this new IP PBX : Vodavi Telenium ...

BR doktor

Thanks for the tips and info. We are going around our firewall --- I guess we should look into the Telenium. Does this gateway open up the ports in the ranges that dont affect the data network? Are you able to walk into any company and plug into a ethernet port without any configuration and have the phone come up fisrt time, every time?

That sure would be great.

Thanks

Well,

I know of no VoIP system where you can walk into ANY business and have the phone come up every time without using a VPN tunnel and a soft-phone (even that requires VPN Passthrough). The reason for this is the abundance of NAT's, firewalls set up by non-IT personnel, firewalls on the ISP and other networking issues.

There are a few people who have been successful on demos by calling the customer ahead of time to get a network layout and tailoring their demo with the correct product.

BUT, internally to the corporate Intranet, a VoIP phone should be able to go to any site and come up readily.

Even the free download Skype requires a few holes in the ol' firewall to work.

I was blown out of my shorts when I had a demonstration from a VOIP from a PBX called Tadiran Coral. The demonstrator plugged in the phone to one of our ethernet ports and his phone came up immediately. I couldn't do that with our Vodavi IP phones --- I had to route it outside our firewall first. The Tadiran rep said it works first-time, everytime. Where ever there is a ethernet port.

I have and XTS with 30 phones plus 6 phones running at residential homes via ip. works fine. The way my switch is hooked up is
1) The KSU's LAN Card has to be hooked up in front of the customers firewall(notbehind it)
2)The phone at the residence is setup like this
a:cust has their cable modem hooked up to a little dlink or linksys router
b:the ip phone is also hooked into their router.
c:setup the router so that it is dhcp enabled
d:setup the phone with the ip addr of the card and enable dhcp thats it.

hay we have it working

just as ironhedz put it

we take phone every were to try it
the only truble is were dhcp not turned on or set for hard ip address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back