Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Phones Are Losing Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaierIT

IS-IT--Management
Nov 4, 2005
US
Good afternoon everyone, i am having some weird problems with our BCM 3.6 (Build 2.2c) running IP Phones 2002. Our BCM system is physically stationed in our New York Office and we have 2 (Point-to-Point) T1 lines that connect us to our New Jersey Location. All IP 2002 Phones are stationed at our NJ Location and our New York Location is equipped with phones going through pots lines.

Now the problem we are currently having is that all IP Phones are losing connection at lease once a day. All our IP Phones are out in New Jersey. I know that we are not losing Internet connection between NY and NJ because my VNC connection never drops. I must say that we are slowing growing in NJ and i do not know if that is the cause of the problem but i would like everyone’s input.

We have 50 IP Phones and 50 Computers in NJ, should TWO T1 lines (3.0MB) be enough to support this setup?

Would adding another PRI have anything to do with an issue like this?

Anyone’s input will be great, thank you and sorry for writing so much just wanted to provide some details.

There are a few starting points here.

In 3.5 and early 3.6 bcm's there was an msc card hardware problem. That could cause what you are describing. I do not have the bulletin number but if you research the nortel sight it is pretty easy to find. When all of the ip sets lose connection do you have to reboot the bcm to get all of them to register?

Do you have a qos enabled network ?
What codecs are you using ?
What type of split are you using in the New York BCM (2/6) or (3/5) ? BCM resources are very crucial.

Thank you Speakerboy. I know that the MSC card has two Ethernet ports, at the moment we are only using Ethernet port "LAN2". Should i switch to Ethernet port "LAN1" with the same configuration to see if the problem goes away or will that just be a waste of time?

I do not reboot the BCM, the phones will eventually after approximately 15 minutes re-connect. I tried restarting our router out in NJ but since the phones come up without the restart i doubt that is the problem.

We do have QOS enabled. I do not know what the codec’s are, if you can tell me where to find that information i could get it, the same goes for the split. I am not a guru with the BCM; I guess that’s why i do not know where to find that information.

Thank you.

Couple more questions ?

What type of routers and switches are you using ?

Do you have spanning tree turned on your switches ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back