Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjohn8210

Technical User
May 26, 2004
GB
I Have an avaya IP 4602 at home which i have used in the office. I have taken this home and i would like to get this working from home so i can make free calls.

I tried conneting it to my laptop via the RJ45 port on my laptop and then created a vpn to work via the wireless connection. i can ping my ip office through the cmd but the phone never finds the router.

any idea's

bigjohn,

As the phone is connected to a completely different interface on your PC, e.g you have the wireless interface connected to your work, and the ethernet port is not, i'm not sure if it is going to work so easy.

When you connect via VPN, your PC is assigned an IP address from the other end of the VPN connection (such as a PIX firewall, or Windows Server). This IP address is the only one that is routed to your PC, and having the phone share this address is impossible.

You may be able to have the notebook do some sort of Network Address Translation, such as using Internet Connection Sharing, to get the phone to be able to talk from the ethernet port through to the wireless and VPN, but again, this is unlikely to work due to the nature of NAT and the H323 protocol.

So basically i need a firewall to firewall vpn so i can plug this into one of the switch ports. etc

Yep. Thats how I do it at home. I have a complete Class C subnet running at home routed via VPN to the office. All of our other routers are aware of this subnet.

This way I can have many seperate devices on my home network, individually addressed, and all able to talk to the work network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back