Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ip phone survivalablity

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdogg88

Technical User
Oct 18, 2012
US
Hi all,

One one of our remote locations currently has pots lines and use that to make/receive all calls, every other site uses 8300s. They don't have an 8300 cause its just 2-3 phones. Now I'm being asked to install one there, I would much rather like to just put some IP phones there and have them connect back to one of our main cpus and use the PRI there. The only issue is if the network goes down and they loose connection, the phone becomes a brick. I did see that NEC makes an add on for the dt700 that will allow it to use the pots lines as a backup which is great, but is there anyway to make the IP phones use the pots lines for 911 and everything else use the PRI at my main site? I have LCR setup for this but I don't know if that addon can be programmed. If they were to dial 911 it would route through my main sites pots lines not good cause po po wont show up at the right place. I'd really hate to have to burn anther 8300 for 2 phones. Thanks in advance for any input :)!!

-----my knowlodge is a mile wide but an inch deep...gotta keep diggin-----

Thank for the quick reply. Could you elaborate a little please.

Assign phones at remote site to new tenat in 1204. In 8A4005>911>1XXX 1XXX , then in 8A1XXX>YY>ZZZZZ - yy = teneant number ZZZZ ir route pattern that normally goes in 8A4005.

Using tenant service you can dictate which extensions can use which lines, which extensions can call which extensions and you can even give them separate numbering plans! You can effectively make one system seem to be two completely separate systems!

I understand how tenanting works and lcr, But would I still create a new tenant if there isnt an 8300 on site?

at this site theres only going to be ip phones, I need them to pick the pots lines when 911 is dialed and used the pri at my main site for everything else. If I set them up now they'll be able to dial out but everything will go out on mains pri, including 911, also if they loose network connectivity they cant dial out at all.

Heck take the easy way out and give them "emergency power fail phones" (cheap analogue phones connected to the PSTN lines) for 911 calls and IP phones for day to day use!

Rightttttt haha maybe for me and you, but where i work there all about making the system do things that its not meant to do haha. Ill suggest this and see what happens. Theres got to be a way for this to work in a non-hosted environment. I thought of an e911 service but that would complicate things.

Could you put in a small sv8100 with ccis to the main system?

Great!!! I was looking at something like this, just need sip licenses now but this would do the trick I think. Thanks

Just a word to the wise, get one and try it before comitting to the solution as SIP phones are not all the same and you may find problems using one make over another!

Most definitely, at my last job they were a sip trunk wholesaler and sold non hosted solutions. And alot of times we had more problems than solutions. Thanks for the advise!!

Eastern, + i dont believe in sleep :)

how bout you?

This is just a theory but may work. I never worked on an 8300, so I don't know if it can do it. But I have an SV8500, and there is a command whcih can specify a specific caller ID to be sent out on outgoing calls based on the extension making the call and the route used to make the call. So if you have a spearate route for 911 calls, you could try this: if one of those remote IP extensions is making the 911 call, using your local 911 route, you can make the caller ID to be the same as the PSTN phone line number at your remote site. Thus, the 911 operator would see a number that belongs to your remote site address and would act accordingly.
However, this is just an idea, and not sure if it works like this in real life. 911 answering service may not solely depend on caller ID seen for example. I also don't know if such a solution would have some legal consequences either. So, try at your own risk. But it's thinking outside the box...

Awesome idea!!! Imma try this tomorrow, not sure in the 8500 what the commands are but in the 8300, for cid there are 3 main ones that come to mind 1212 1213 and 5005. 5005 is your pattern in our case its the first six of the DID, and in 1213 are the last four of the DID 1212 assigns the pattern. I'll also look into the legality of this cause I do know in some state cid spoofing is frowned upon.

Commands 1212,1213 & 5005 control the CLID!

I'm western time Australia though! UTC+8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back