Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Phone Ports On Bus 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew092677

Technical User
May 10, 2009
GB

Hi there,

I was hoping someone can help me understand the port allocation of Bus 1 on a BCM 400 Release 4.0.

I understand the DSP resource calculations etc but not sure how you achieve 50 ip phones when you only have 30 ports per bus.

I think you can have roughly 50 ip phones on a 2 /6 split before you have to go to a 3 / 5 to have up to 90 ip phones.

At the moment I have bus 1 ports allocated as 23 IP phones , 6 callpilot ports and there is one port allocated as a 7316e (not sure what this is).

If I try and register anymore IP phones I get the message "No Ports Available".

I have enough licenses to add more IP phones.

How do I get more ports so I can have up to 50 IP phones on a 2 / 6 split?

How many ip licenses do you have?
How many registered ip phones are registered(including softphones)?

BTW the 7316e you see on Bus 1 is a virtual set used to link your MSC card and the element manager.Anything you do on the element manager to modify programming on sets,lines etc uses that virtual phone to transfer the information back and forth.

How many PEC cards do you have on your MSC? If you have enough licenses, then it really gets down to DSP resources.

Every registered ip set takes one, every voicemail port takes one, any voip trunks take up one, MOH and Paging take up one total, something called a Mega D channel takes 2, clock server takes one and one for internal messaging.

On your monitor, you should see 59 channels if you are set to a 2/6 split. There are two DSP buses reserved so you should have 64 channels but because of those things mentioned aboved, you only have access to 59 of them. If you cange to a 3/5 split, you add 32 more channels to it for a total of 91.

When they say 90 ip sets, that really has to be taken with a grain of salt because to do that, you would have no voicemail channels (ok, maybe 1).

If you do change o a 3/5, make sure you add the additional PEC cards so you have enough voice channels to accommodate the traffic. Right now you should have at least 2 PECIII cards in there at a minimum. If not, add at least one more.

This is a very confusing topic for us field techs because you won't find any of that info in any service manual that I know of and we get asked all the time about those DSP resources so I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back