Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Phone over ADSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

UmaSharanV

Technical User
Sep 19, 2007
OM
Dear All,

I would like to install IP Phone 96xx over ADSL. Is that possible? If so can you please let me know how can be done!!

Thanks in advance,
Regards,

do not bother, in the experience we have had, it works poorly, if at all.

Cable modems work far better, DSL just doesn't seem to have the bandwidth to get it working properly.

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

we have several sites that have DSL for their broadband supporting IP phones. With our home office environment we have a cisco router providing the VPN tunnel. What we find was they need to have a minumum of 512K up and 1.5mb down speeds. Just remember it is the internet and you do not have any qos so it can be a hit a miss depending what appilcation the home users is running during the phone call. As long as they kept that in mind we havn't had a lot of issues.

We have several At-Home agents setup. We have them through a hardware VPN on Cisco routers, to VPN Phone on the 4621 to software VPNs, using softphone or IP Agent. We have worked with a variety of ISPs. It seems as though cable modem setups seem to work the best, we have currently running setups with DSL, Fiber, and wireless and we don't seem to have too many issues. If the latency of the line is within the acceptable parameters of voice, then they seem to work fine. We have had a couple situations, where we told the agent that they would not be allowed to work from home, due to unacceptable problems with their ISP.

gblucas
CM 5.2.1

gb...; Would you mind sharing what model Cisco router you are using. This is the exact setup I would like to use for a couple of my "homies." Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back