Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ip phone not working FVS338 and fvs114

Status
Not open for further replies.

akb1111

Programmer
Aug 28, 2008
US
hey guys...

here is another weird one....

i have a 4610swip at a employee's house that has been working great for about 2 months. today he called me and said the phone is not working. it says discover xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

we have athe NETGEAR338 at the office and a FVS114 at the house. ip office 4.2.4... we have a site to site VPN set up and working as i can ping the phone and the router. the phone even downloads the 46xx files from the server. after its done, it says...discover xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

i have checked the IP ROUTE in the ip office which is set to ...

Lan1

ive tried deleting it and putting it back in with no luck.

just wondering if someone has seen this before.

thanks

Here's a couple of things you might want to try.

Problem: IP Office 500, ver. 4.1 (12) After 180 days the VPN phones (4610SW) quit working and the displayed showed "System Incompatible"
A 4621Sw would display "Discovering 192.168.42.1"

Cause: Renamed the 46vpnsettings_template to 46vpnsettings and added this command at the top of the page and saved it.
SET SMBLIC 1

Problem: VPN phone 4621SW at remote location had " Discover 192.168.42.1"

Cause: Had to enter a static IP address instead of 0.0.0.0 (DHCP).
Router was 192.168.0.1 So, I assigned the ip phone an address of 192.168.0.2 and rebooted phone and it came up OK.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful"
"The lack of money is the root of all evil" [machinegun] [flip]

the doz" we did have the VPN remote phone problem and did not know how to fix it!!! this is why we went to the "site to site" VPN. we have a (4610sw) phone that says....discover 192.168.1.30 which is the ip address of the ip office (4.2.4). should i assign a static ip address to the phone and then reboot.

do i need a VPN license with a site to site VPN set up??? i thought doing the site to site VPN made the phone act/look as if it were in the office and NOT needing the license???

thanks for the reply! that makes a lot of sense!! im sure i will be able to use this many more times!!

Like thedoz said use the SET SMBLIC 1
This is only for the 46xx and not the 56xx !!!

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

You do not need a VPN license or to set the SMBLIC in the file if it is a site-to-site vpn and not a VPN phone.

Discover xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - can you confirm that the IP Address it is trying to discover is actually the IP Office? I've seen this if the 46xxsettings.txt file has the MCIPADD= address set to the wrong IP address. Even though it may be hard coded on the phone, the settings file can override that.

Since it's only one phone you can try hard-coding all the parameters into the phone and not use DHCP, and make sure it doesn't pull down a text file by setting the file server address to an incorrect one...to ensure that the settings file isn't messing anything up.

tanderson3733"

i reset the 4610sw phone as i did the (mute clear) command. i manualy put in the ip address of the ip office on the phone with the same results...phone saying discover 192.168.1.30

im going to try and hard code ALL of the settings first to see if that works....if not, i will try to see what the 46xxsetings.txt file says and change the ip address of the MCIPADD= address. i will let you know soon.

thanks for the reply!!

I did not read the vpnrouter at home part :)
If it grabs all settings then there is a different problem
It communicates with port 1720
Check that port

Did you hace the vpn first, and that was working ok? Then it broke and switched to the router to router solution?

something has changed that your not telling us.

From a computer on the remote network you can ping the IPO, not the tftp server, properly?

We have had success setting up VPN phones on the Netgear fvs338, they used to say disscover xxx.xxx.xxx untill we upgraded the Netgear to the newest firmware, now the phones come up. We are currently having the discover issue on the Netgear Fvx538 and have yet to solve the issue.

the vpnremote phone would work for a couple of months then said "system incompatible"??? dont know why, but the 1st reply from "thedoz" answered that question and what we COULD have done to fix it.

we switch to a "site to site" vpn when the problem was taking too long to fix. this worked fine for about 2 months as well and now the phone says "discover 192.168.1.30" the ip address of the IP OFFICE. we have not changed anything in the routers. i did however upgrade the FVS338 to the latest release and still no luck?? im not sure if the FVS114 is at the latest release. i just upgraded the FVS114 before we put it in. maybe there is a new release that i need to put in for that????

we are going to try and "hard code" all of the ip addresses in to the phone to see if that works???

the funny thing is that we have a couple of customers that are on 3.2 and have not had a problem.

thanks for the help!!

Notsetinstone asked an important question that you haven't answered yet...can you ping 192.168.1.30 from the site with the IP Phone?

If you can then you have a policy problem on the VPN tunnels. If you can't you have a network issue.

not sure if they have yet?? i will find out in the morning.

dont know if it matters, but when we restart the 4610, in manager i can see the TFTP log display the phone gettings/running the 46xxsettings files. in the log, it also displays the boot p request of the ip address of the ip phone (192.168.2.2).....but anyways.....i will find out tomorrow on being able to ping from the remote site to the IP OFFICE. i can ping from the main site to the remote site to both the router and the phone.

the funny thing is that it has been working for a couple of months without any changes made to the policy or network setup???

thanks again!!

You can ping otherwise it would not pull tftp :)
Something is blocking the registration

I don't agree. I do believe the problem is with Netgear. people either deliberatly lie so they don't look dumb, don't realize they are making misleading statements, or honestly don't know. In any event something has changed that we are not being told, or the users are not telling akb.

This is the essence of the phone business.

I totaly agree
Always the "nothing changed" does not work for me
Something has changed otherwise the phone would still work :)

i totaly agree as well....i think the vpnremote phone issue could have been fixed as per tlpeter suggestions.

the site to site connection....to my knowledge....has not changed. the only thing i have done different is upgraded the FVS338 to the latest release from netgear. i need to check and see if the FVS114 has an upgrade patch out since i last upgraded???

just a question, but do you think i need to make a rule in the FVS338 for port 1720to allow anything???

hey guys,

just wondering.....if i have 4620 phones in the office, should those have the "discover xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" on there as well? the only reason i ask is because i looked at the settings in the 46xxsettings.txt file that "tanderson3733" told me to look at and the MCIPADD address is set to 192.168.0.5 which is not the ip address of the ip office.

anyways, we are working on this problem now and will let you know what i find out.

thanks again!!

Are they trying to "Discover 192.168.0.5"? If so then the text file is breaking the process.

no they we are trying to connect to 192.168.1.30

i will change this and let you know.

thanks again tanderson3733.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back