Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Phone Goes Silent When Calling

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabble

Technical User
Jun 15, 2005
CA
I have an 1120e user, on CS1000 4.5, with firmware version C6J that is experiencing silence when they place an outbound call. They dial the number and apparently it is answered but the person can not hear the caller, so they hang up. So far, this is the only IP user out of 70 that has mentioned this problem.

Has anyone experienced this? Thanks.

Does it make a difference if the caller uses handset, headset, handsfree?

If not,then check IP (including VLAN & routing) configurations. Packets aren't flowing between the IP Phone and whatever it is terminating on.

I just experienced something similar this week when testing my new softphones, except mine was the opposite, and the caller couldn't hear me.

What I found was it worked softphone to softphone, but not softphone to hardphone. Found the installer had a duplicate IP entered in two settings.

System » IP Network » Node Configuration » IP Telephony: Node ID 1 » Edit » Card x.x.x.x Properties

He had the same IP in the following to fields
1. Telephony LAN (TLAN) IP address
2. Telephony LAN (TLAN) DSP IP address
(Entered new IP in the (DSP IP Address) and my issue was resolved.

This may be not be your issue, but worth checking.

The user has had this happen while on handset and handsfree.

The settings you mention, jamie2, are these through Element Manager?

We are using CODEC G729A
Voice payload size = 20 ms/fram
Voice playout nominal delay = 40
Voice playout nominal delay = 80

The VGW and IP phone codec profile parameters are:
Enable Echo Canceller is checked
Echo canceller tail delay = 128
Voice activity detection threshold = -17
Idle noise level = -65
DTMF tone detection is checked

I have no idea what any of the above settings are for and whether or not they might cause the silence.

Install and call a set that is located in the same media gateway as the trunks and see if you experience the same issue. If you do you could have a bad DSP daughterboard or a routing issue on the network i.e ports blocked.

Signature===========================================

Aastra Authorized Reseller

I just had the same issue last week and I found out my subnet was incorrectly entered. I changed it to what it should be and that was it. Not saying that this is your issue to but don't over look the simple stuff.

Yes, mine were setting in element manager.

As BrokenRecord2 and both experienced IP conflicts, you may want to start there and ensure your IP settings are correct. May not be the issue, but a good starting point.

Have you checked your DSP reasources. I am fairly new to the CS1000 but i thought I remembered something about the DSP is you communication between IP set and any TDM set or resource.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back