Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP phone follow me feature or somthing like that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hallsey

IS-IT--Management
Aug 5, 2010
US
Anyone out there have knowledge of how to have an IP ext follow you to another location. nodes and network all working and are all set up. so if i were in Florida and was going to Georgia and I want to have my ip phone work in Georgia. Is there a code i can enter or button to program that when i get to Georgia my ip phone will be there

So you want to physically take your IP phone (or softphone) to Georgia and have it register to the Coral in Florida? You should just be able to plug it in. Assuming IP routing is configured and any firewalls have the relevant ports open then the phone should just register to the IP address of the Florida Coral. QSIG & node networking etc play no role in this. The phone has the IP address of the Florida Coral to which it will register.

If you're meaning that you leave your IP phone in Florida and you get to Georgia and use a desk phone there to invoke the Follow Me feature that will forward your Florida xtn to the Georgia xtn that's another matter. But I suspect this isn't the case.

The ip phones and softphones are all set they take them if they have to or i just swap the macs and ca addys where they are going so they dont have to take the phone with them easier for them. Digital phones are going qsig all locations are point to point t's so that is no prob. I want to be able to walk up to an ip phone where ever i am in the country enter a code, whatever i need to do and have the mac register to my local switch where i came from

That's never going to happen. To be able to do that you'd need to have the NPL in every networked Coral altered from Local to Network number.

There's no need to do any of that. Your phone will register using IP routing to the Coral it originated on. People will be able to contact the user on the same xtn they've always been on.

Using clustered CSS's would be a different story as they're all the same system not networked individual ones.

no css yet well one that we are working on but the rest are 500's thought that would be a neat little item for the customer to use many offices guys are are always all over the place

Why don't you use the Flexicall feature (only available with PRI or T1 lines)? Simple to set up...Calls sent to the phone ring that set and the flexicall destination. Could be a cell phone or any phone.
The beauty of flexicall is that with a PRI you retain the call control on the inbound call and can transfer it back to the home system by dialing *2 and extention.

some of the guys are using the FC feature. to much work for them believe it or not. they want to have a system phone in front of them at all times. more billing for me. i just swap the MAC addy out and set it back when they return. There is nothing in the Tad forums or in the manuals. looks like a call to tech support on this one

There is nothing in the Tad forums or in the manuals. looks like a call to tech support on this one"

There is nothing for them to tell you. You can't do it. If you move an xtn from one system to another you need to alter the network node tables and NPL to reflect that the xtn is no longer Local but is Remote. If you have many systems then you need to alter every system. There is no "magical" feature code that will do this for you.

If this is just a temporary move -
Unplug the phone at the first site. Plug it at the second site. Phone registers to first site. Go back to the first site and plug it in and it still works.

If this is a permanant move -
Program NPL & network nodes accordingly to move the xtn number to the second site.

Disturbedone is right...this is WAD - working as designed.

Still say FC the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back