Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Office vs. S8300 w/G700 or G350

Status
Not open for further replies.

CableMonkey

Technical User
Sep 26, 2002
US
Why would someone choose one over the other? They are both IP capable and designed for small to medium sized business, and both made by Avaya. Is there a significant price difference or a significant difference in reliability? Just curious as I am not familiar with IPO. Thanks.

8300 will cost you much more than an IP office but in is more stable. IPO has more features. how big is the office and how big will they ever grow?

Having worked with both and priced out both, IPStanding is correct, the S8300 will cost you more. Also to get some of the features in the S8300 also has a price tag.

If you're looking to go full IP, I would look more towards the S8300 (personally) than an IP Office, only with some issues I've ran into in the past with IP phones on the IP Office. However, as I'm sure you'll hear from a few others here, they've had great success with SCN and multiple IP phones.

I think the S8300 was designed more as a system to be a LSP off of a larger system (ie S8500/S8700) and they just threw in the ability for it to stand alone as well for another option.

Lastly, if you look in the Avaya Definity forms, I think you will find less "issues" with the S8300 than what people have had with the IP Office (though they're lessening over time).

Again, this is just a personal view.

I don't agree with IPstanding and bwilch.

If you are looking for a pure IP platform the S8300 is the way to go. You have full call admission control, troubleshooting tools such as trace. etc. Those things are all missing in the IPO which makes it extremely hard to maintain and troubleshoot (I once tried to install an IPO with 250 IP Phones, a real nightmare). Not even mentioning if you want a multisite environment because in that situation the IPO is really a black hole without centralised management.

Also the IPO is MORE expensive then the S8300 if you need a large number of DSP's. But it all depends on how much phones resources you need. The maximum of DSPs you can fit in an IPO is 60 while a standard G700 already has 64 DSPs.

I agree you get more functionallity for free with the IPO but the S8300 certainly more functions but you will need to pay for them.

It all comes down to the number/type of extensions you need and what functionallity is important (voicemail, callcenter, softphones,...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back