Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Office Upgrade r8 to r11.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishoptf

IS-IT--Management
Nov 5, 2012
US
I am working on the steps for upgrading an v2 system from r8 to r11.1, I know I will need to make a step upgrade to update the bootloader and have the basic steps outlined, here is what I am working on steps wise, system is running all 96xx phones about 33 endpoints, no voicemail pro, essential edition

1. Log into system and save configuration to separate location
2. Download 8.1.95 bin files, change to 8.1.95 working directory (File -> Change Working Directory)
3. After changing working director to where new 8.1.95 bins are located, run upgrade wizard.
(will the cause phones to upgrade after the system reboots let phones and everything upgrade (how long should this take?)
4. Uninstall manager 8.1.95
5. Install Install manager 11.1
6. Log into system and run upgrade wizard
(after the reboot will phones upgrade again)
(also, is it at this point that I will log into the system/licenses/add/plds/ then brows to new xml file we are provided with by our supplier and upload the XML file? or should that be done earlier in the upgrade process.)

I am also going to replace the existing SD Card with a new larger card, I have heard that the older smaller cards can run into issue with the upgrade process so the question I have is I assume I would want to replace the SD card first upgrade to same version then start stepping through the upgrade process for upgrading the rest of the system or is there an easier path in regards to when to replace the SD card with the new one.

Thanks I am working with a remote support vendor to help support but I would like to make sure I understand all the steps in advance, thanks.

You can't go directly from 8.1. to 11.1 using Manager, there is an Avaya bulletin about this. Using Manager you would have to go from 8.1 to 11.0 first, then to 11.1. The other option to go from 8.1 to 11.1 directly is to remove the SD card and use an SD reader and Manager to do a re-create of the card.

I would
8.0 or 8.1 as starting release
go to 9.1
go to 11.1

the first upgrade step to 9.1 uncheck the backup and the upload files option then it will simply upgrade and 10 min later it is back up and running then go the next step with backup and upload of all the required files.

this will not take longer than the upgrade to 8.1.95 as first step

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

"Dew knot truss yore Spell Cheque

westi said:
I would
8.0 or 8.1 as starting release
go to 9.1
go to 11.1

the first upgrade step to 9.1 uncheck the backup and the upload files option then it will simply upgrade and 10 min later it is back up and running then go the next step with backup and upload of all the required files.

this will not take longer than the upgrade to 8.1.95 as first step

Yup my question is I need to replace the 4g Avaya SD card with an 8G Avaya SD card and trying to figure out when to do that, I have read that sometimes the older 4g cards cause some issues. So do I swap out the card in the beginning or after upgrading to 8.1.95 etc...The other thing is I have 2 combo cards that are not supported in 11.1 and will need to swap them out also.

You can replace it to refresh the hardware and make sure it is new but if you have about 50% room still on the card you can also keep the old one. I have upgraded many systems still with the old 4GB card. Disclaimer, I don't use 11.1 if I don't have a customer that insists on it.

If they are not running embedded voicemail they usually have enough room.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

Westi said:
You can replace it to refresh the hardware and make sure it is new but if you have about 50% room still on the card you can also keep the old one. I have upgraded many systems still with the old 4GB card. Disclaimer, I don't use 11.1 if I don't have a customer that insists on it.

If they are not running embedded voicemail they usually have enough room.

They are running embedded voicemail as far as I know, that is a good question it appears that the consensus is 11.0 is much more stable than 11.1, is there any version of 11.1 that most feel is stable or should I just avoid 11.1?

I have not seen anything on a small or medium system that has advantages over 11.1
There are no real new features out with 11.1 if you simply make/receive calls and have an auto attendant and mailboxes so that is why I usually stay with 11.0.4.7 the latest that was out.
11.1 if you go that way go with the latest one so if anything goes sideways you can call support and they don't blow you off telling you you have to upgrade before you call them.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back