Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Office Replacing CM 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheldoom

Vendor
Dec 12, 2006
US
I'm getting ready to start a project to replace an existing CM with an new IP Office. The CM is all IP and analog sets, mostly 9600, but some J series and possibly some older IP sets. I'm waiting for the customer to provide exact phone type counts. I know the phones will need to be flashed.

Can any of you that have done this, please share any tricks/tips and gotchas I could be running into? I appreciate the input.

Thank you,

"It's all ball bearings these days" Fletch F. Fletch

Get as much detail of the existing config and operation as possible. Whilst they are different systems and the user is going to pester you with 'it used to work this way' moans, there is also a lot of crossover between things like button features. Whilst there's no easy way I've heard of to port between a CM config and IP Office, everything you can emulate will be one user moan less.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Fortunately the customer has taken this opportunity to clean up old programming and start from scratch. I know there will still be a lot of details that will need to be covered, but much better than those customers that don't want to do any work and tell us to just get the programming from the old system.

"It's all ball bearings these days" Fletch F. Fletch

collect everything, what they say and the questions they ask a month down the line are usually different things [bigsmile]

For the phone part of this it may be pretty easy depending how the customers network is setup. Last time i did this it was like 600 phones and what we did was change all the DHCP option strings to point at the IPO instead of the CM and then switch by switch disabled POE and enabled it to force the phones to reboot. we had auto create on in the IPO and the phones updated and logged in with the correct Ext numbers.

Kevin Wing
ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Vive Communications

Can confirm Kevin's post. Did that exact thing a couple times on some pretty large CM installs and swung the IP Phones over to IPO that way. In our case we set the security code to the same as what was being used in CM.

New England Communications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back