Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Office Manager as a Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccaug

Technical User
Jul 29, 2004
US
I can't remember where I saw this, but can't you run Manager(Not Phone Manager)as a service on the server? I am having trouble locating info on this. Anybody seen this or am I dreaming?

Thanks,
Chad

I fail to understand why you would want to run the Manager as a service, however try this add on from Mircosoft "srvany" It's great for running any windows program as a service.

Its my understanding that if you are using VOIP phones that Mangager has to be running with the broadcast address. I can use Manager on another PC to do programming. I just didn't want Manager up all the time on the server.....

The manager is running as a tftp-server for new IP-Phones to get there firmware, but if al phone,s are running you don,n need the manager to be running.

TFTP Server IP Address: Default = Blank
When Manager is running, it acts as a TFTP server for the IP Office Control Unit. An entry is only required here if you want to force the Control Unit to use a particular device as its TFTP server. This field must be filled in with the IP address of the PC running Manager on systems using 4600 Series IP phones. On Avaya IP Office - Small Office Edition systems this can be the IP Address of the control unit if fitted with a local memory storage card.

Greets peter

Thanks peter,

So, if i am following you correctly....if i take out the address of the tftp server in my config i don't need to have manager open on my server. Is that what you are saying? I am running a 406v2 @ 3.0 using 56XX series phones. Now on the phone where it ask me for a tftp server would i put the address of the ip office or just leave that blank as well.

Confused Chad

The IP phones look for a TFTP server when they are powered up.

First time round they do this and load the software to get going.

Subsequent times they do the same but don't really need to, except if you've changed the set of available software files and want them to upgrade.

If the phones restart and can't find the TFTP they do eventually timeout and return back to their current settings - so no, a permament TFTP isn't necessary.

The only real advantage of a permanent TFTP is that it speeds up the phone restart as they see the file available match what they already have and restart rather than going through several searching for a TFTP server timeouts before restarting.

In theory, at least, you could also download a TFTP server that runs as a service. Of course, you would have to configure this yourself...

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Thanks Everyone... I think you all pointed me in the right direction with this.....

Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back