Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Office Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishDeval

Vendor
Jan 27, 2005
US
Hello, my main systems I service and install are Avaya Partner and Nortel. However, I have a customer that wants to switch from the Nortel and go with the Avaya IP Office. I was hoping to get some installation info on this system for a first timer. I am totally clueless on this system as far what is required for the installation. Such as do I need to have a server PC or my laptop ect. Do I simply put in the CD and use the wizard for setup ect. I have plenty of questions. Thanks

No offense but the IP Office is not a Partner or Norstar. There is plenty of documentation on
If you have never worked on an IP Office, you should contact a local Avaya business partner that does know the system. Your customer will thank you later!

Configof IPO is tricky, but you can ask Me everything you wont.

I learned to program a Partner in an hour. The IPO will take a little longer.

If you were asking the same question about a Partner we could tell you, "From Extension 10 or 11, press feature 00, left intercom twice and then use #xxx and this quick reference to program what you want."

One sentence can get you started. The IPO is a different animal. Go to support.avaya.com and download the admin and voicemail pro apps. You can play with it and create configs offline. You won't be able to test anything without a live system, but it will get you started and you can gauge your own comfort level.

The thing to keep in mind is that on a system like a Partner, it does it or it doesn't and there is basically one way to do it. The IPO lets you be quite creative but it makes it difficult to pick up and run with.

Come back here and ask questions about anything you get stuck on.

Good Luck.

The first thing you should figure out is what you are going to be selling/installing. Do you have design assistance at all from whoever you are purchasing the equipment from. It will be much easier to provide assistance knowing exactly what you are going to be installing, as opposed to just throwing general IPO thoughts at you. Howevere here is one such thought... Don't use Voicemail Lite, or Embedded Voicemail. Go with Voicemail Pro. Obviously cost a bit more, but will save you a bunch of headaches.

here is a web site for you to check out. it is much easier to find resources there than on avaya's site. look it over, and read up some on it. i only go to avaya.com on the rare ocasion i can not find something there. also, avaya does have some requirements for technical training in order to be able to implement the ipo as a business partner, unless they have changed that. you may be able to contract out the implementation to a product authorized entity.

if you find one foolish enough, they may even give you all their project management forms, and project process forms they have developed if you have them do the project management as well. if you can get them to program it on site, or at your site, you might be able to glean off of them as well. we do not do either of these things unless we charge extra for it, but some may.

the forum can help you troubleshoot, but i doubt that you can use it to learn how to install the ipo in the timeframe of an actual project that is being installed. if you want to prepare to install the ipo, i would suggest going to avaya univesrity web site, study, and take the assesments. when you get product authorized on all the components you are going to implement, you can probably muddle though it with some help on this forum. don't forget to also study up on the user/installation guides for the phones, phone manager, soft console, i phone manager, hardware, vmpro server, vm box user, etc. i would suggest ordering the hardware a month before you will install it, and set aside a week or more to prepare yourself, then time to program and test it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back