Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Office DSCP Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuckWeet

IS-IT--Management
Mar 6, 2002
US
Does anyone know how to properly set the IP Office DSCP settings. I'm doing what I think is right, but it is not classifing packets correctly, so therefor my router is not recognizing them right.. I know this because I have put a network sniffer on it, and the dscp tag is coming up as unknown.

as for as I know the DSCP = a decimal setting, so therefore if i wand DSCP code of 46, i'd enter 46 there. then for the mask, I've never seen anything like this, so its left at default. Then for the signalling, it needs to be a hex number and I want 34, so therefore 0x22 is what I want for that..

Does anyone have any further knowledge of these settings?

BuckWeet

Buckweet:

To answer your question correctly I need to ask a few questions:

I assume you are using a Frame Relay circuit. How is this circuit attached to the IP Office? Is it coming through a Cisco Router and out to the IP Office on an ethernet port?
If it is a Cisco Router what is the model and IOS of the unit?

Whew..... enough questions for you?????

Now the meat of the subject. Let's suppose you are using a Cisco Series router. If you can get into the router and view the configuration run show running-config. You should see something like this:

Remote2# show running-config
Building configuration...
Current configuration:
!
version 12.1
class-map match-all gold
match ip dscp 10 12 14
class-map match-all EF
match access-group 101
class-map match-all AF21
match access-group 108
class-map match-all AF23
match access-group 110
class-map match-all AF22
match access-group 109
class-map match-all bronze
match ip dscp 26 28 30
class-map match-all platinum
match ip dscp 46
class-map match-all silver
match ip dscp 18 20 22
class-map match-all best-effort
match access-group 105
class-map match-all AF3
match access-group 104
class-map match-all AF1
match access-group 102
!
!
policy-map VOIP
class platinum
priority 500
class gold
bandwidth percent 50
class bronze
shape average 320000
bandwidth percent 15
class silver
bandwidth percent 35
class best-effort
police 56000 1750 1750 conform-action set-dscp-transmit 0 exceed-action drop
violate-action drop
policy-map SETDSCP
class EF
set ip dscp 46

class AF1
set ip dscp 10
class AF3
set ip dscp 26
class AF21
set ip dscp 18
class AF22
set ip dscp 20
class AF23
set ip dscp 22

If you will look at the above captured configuration (I shorted this to only include the applicaple DSCP info) you will see a line that reads......

policy-map SETDSCP
class EF
set ip dscp 46

Here your magic DSCP number that you have to work with is 46. Now here is where the math comes into play. When using a Cisco DSCP value, take the value and multiply it by 4. This will give you your DSCP Value in decimal format.

So in the above example you would multiply 46 x 4 and arrive at a value of 184. You would then take you scientific calculator (the one in Windows works great) and convert it to Hexdecimal. This would produce a value of B8 in our above listed example. Therefore the correct entry would be 0xB8 in the DSCP box. (The other DSCP Mask value should be 0xFC).

Now, in saying all of this there are a few caveats:

1. In a small community network all of the DSCP Values should be set the same.
2. Your "Number of Channels" and "Outgoing Channels" should equal the size of you VCM Module. Ex. 10 channels for a VCM-10, 20 channels for a VCM-20.
3. Depending on your compression (or lack thereof) you should set your voice channels and data channels appropriately. I have a site where I have 512 CIR Frame for voice and am not using any of the bandwidth for data. (I have a seperate frame circuit for data) I am running G711 ULAW 64K for my compression mode. Therefore if I calculate my packet size with my other overhead I have set my voice channels for 5 and my Data Channels to 0.

One other thing to check would be on the VOIP tab of your VPN line. I only have checked (Enabled) Enable faststart, Out of Band DTMF, Allow Direct Media Path and Voice networking.

Of course these changes require a reboot.

There are other things you may have to modify if this does not help your situation.

If you need further email me at bstewart@ccitelecom.net and I will email you my contact info!

Hope this helps!

Fonedoc [sleeping]

Yes, I know the cisco side of it, I just needed to know those DSCP settings for the IP Office.. This is the only goofy one, on the Definity, they use the same numbering as you do on the Cisco. So when I came to play with the IP Office, it was a little bit weird, because they didn't have any good examples.

I'm not sure I understand the DSCP mask either, like I said, I've never seen that anywheres else, not on definity, nor cisco of anykind (callmanager, etc..)

thanks

BuckWeet

Where did you find documentation for those settings? Any docs I've seen for IP Office say jack squat about this.

Any links?

BuckWeet

Buckweet:

Many long converstations with Tier III and Tier IV. I will contact my Tier IV engineer and see if I can get the docs. I only have some of my hand written notes to go by!!!

Fonedoc [sleeping]

Sigh, AVAYA and their support really sucks..
I was on the phone with a TIER 4 guy for Multivantage, who was however actually pretty good.. I was amazed, heh..

BuckWeet

The replies on this subject by fondoc are right on the money...one small thing I found that with enabling FAST START I experienced jitter of a full 1.5 point to point. Avaya recommends trying everything without fast start enabled and if it works then to try enaqbling fast start. My config worked for about 5 weeks before the clipping started after fighting with telco I tried taking off FS when I did the clipping stopped when FS was renables the clipping began again. FYI I have my DSCP set for 0xB8 as well. Becareful on the 412 that is the defaut setting on the 406 it is 0xA0.

Hope this helps

We have an Argent office attached to IP 400 (POTs 30+)
For some reasons we had to remove the operational software from argent office via DTE port using ATX2, ATX3 and AT-X command.

We upgraded the unit with naoffice.bin and TFTP log showed the configuration is updated. but now when we install the IP admin software the extention of IP 400 do not appear plus there is no dial tone on these extns as well.

we have created some extns. manually /Users/Hunt Group but still their is no Dial tone on IP 400 extns.
Argent office is working fine because it is forwarding the calls from the extns.

Please advise

Has the Argent been updated with the correct bin file?

I seem to recall that the IP Office POTS units only work with particular versions of Alchemy

thx dave!!!

after settintg it to default we installed the admin suite
I guess that updates it with correct bin file.

although we r able to upgrade but no extns from our PRI are appearing in manager also no dial tone!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back