Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Office coexisting with a wireless phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexLD

IS-IT--Management
Aug 5, 2011
US
One of our executives needed a new phone system in his house so I installed an IP Office system for him. The system is running in Essentials Edition mode, R8.1. Now the fun begins. The user didn't want to give up his Panasonic wireless phones and use the Avaya DECT handsets. So the way this is connected is that POTS line 1 and line 2 are connected to the analogue trunk card in the IP500 V2 and they are also connected to the base station of the Panasonic wireless phone. If a call rings in, the user answers the call on the Panasonic phone system and for a while the IP Office does nothing. Then after a minute or so all the members of the main call queue deliver three abbreviated rings as if the call was on hold. Is the some setting that can make this work a little more harmoniously or am I just going to have to convince him to get the Avaya DECT SIP phones?

The house wiring is a mess so I was hoping to avoid a rewire to make that work. I guess it's back to the crawlspace with a spool for me.

Indeed use the analog ports of the IPO.
If their wiring in House is bad, and they don't want to pay for proper wiring, put base of the Panasonic cordless next to the IPO.
All of the satellite Panasonic phone(s)/base(s) can be plugged in any electric outlet.

Why are the analogue lines connected to both the Panasonic base AND the IPO? That doesn't make sense?

Why not just install some cost effective DECT phones and use them on the IPO Analog ports? You only need two wires for this.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

The main reason is that I am using all the existing wiring from the old key system. The house is all lath and plaster construction with tons of insulation and oddly placed bracing so fishing cables is a royal pain. I believe that the existing wiring was done in the 1980s and they cut open the walls, ran the cables and than re-plastered the walls. That's a noose I'm not willing to stick my head in. I'll see if they can handle moving the base station somewhere.

If you're using wiring from old key system, you likely have spare pairs that may be used. Devices in parallel on CO lines is untenable at best.

Whoever installed the key system already split the pairs for some reason. I haven't been in the walls, but the split must be inside the walls because one (2-pair) cable leaves the closet and it magically becomes two 2-pair runs elsewhere. I've never seen anything quite like it.

If wireless base units are connected to the CO at NID, you really just need a pair to the NID, where you can bung them together.

mforrence, that's a good idea I haven't checked those pairs to see if there is one available.

I don't know if this is helpful but this is my experience. The pots wiring in our home was crap and staticy so we installed an IPO and IP phones to take advantage of the good data wiring. It's funny, we skipped running new pots wiring when we remodeled. The existing Panasonic cordless phones I wanted to keep so I used an analog line card to handle the old POTS phones. Although it may not be recommended, I was able to get the analog card to drive 10 jacks, with 6 phones attached (they all ring too, some were line voltage driven). We wanted to be able to access multiple lines through the cordless phone so we short codes were added to allow access to the SIP trunks and analog lines. So far it works well, trunks enter IPO and are then directed out into the respective hunts, etc.

I was stuck in this situation once on an IPO install in an older store. Old Comkey 416 was removed, but wiring had to be re used.
25 pair cable ran parallel to each jack. Many of the pairs had excessive resistance, Some Digital Phones were temperamental, so I doubled up a few pairs and it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back